Robyn's Reviews > Across the Great Barrier

Across the Great Barrier by Patricia C. Wrede

Jan 31, 12

bookshelves: adventure, awesome-powers, easy-fiction, fantasy, western, young-adult
Read in January, 2012

I was excited to finally get my ILL copy of Across the Great Barrier, sequel to Thirteenth Child, in last week from the library. The fantasy-western world Wrede has created is very different from the usual fantasy books I've been reading lately.

Things I'm enjoying about this series, besides the odd, yet satisfying, coupling of the fantasy and western genres, is the pacing. In the first book, the pacing was something that I found a little irritating because I was just waiting for all the shoot'em up action to pound my brain. Typical for the young adult playing field, right? Instead Wrede is in no hurry to give away thrills like a cheap carnie ride. Everything moves a bit like a cowboy, or girl, wondering from settlement to settlement (oh, we'll get there eventually) who, even though moves slowly, still runs into plenty of entertaining situations.

I also love the colleges, professors, surveying, and expeditions. Oh, how I would love to go with Professor Torgeson and take notes on plant species and other flora and fauna! Yep, I'm a nerd and aspiring naturalist (move over Eff or you just might find a medusa lizard in your saddlebag!)

The other thing that left me with happy thoughts is... no cliffhanger! Yay! Though I believe there is a third book, the first, and now the second, wrap up nicely, so you're not tearing your hair out and cursing for closure.

Would I recommend the series? Yes, when I run across the right reader.

Will I read the next one? It's on the list. (If I can find it. Is it out there yet? I'll go look.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Across the Great Barrier.