Caris's Reviews > Juliet, Naked

Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby

Dec 03, 09

bookshelves: 2009
Read in December, 2009

Since seventh grade, my favorite band has been The Mighty Mighty Bosstones. I loved their signature blend of ska, punk, and metal for a number of happy years. And then something bad happened: they broke up.

My world ended. I was depressed. But time went by and I grew to accept it. Every now and again, I would check the Internet for any rumors of their resurrection.

And, last week, I found some.

It turns out that they have not only reunited, they have also recorded a new album (Pin Points and Gin Joints) set to be released this month. THIS MONTH!!!

I imagine that I am feeling the same sort of emotions that Duncan felt (yes, we're moving along to the book now) when he was given a copy of Tucker Crowe's new album. After years of reclusive existence, Crowe finally came back to the world.

I don't like how Duncan handled his reaction to this album. It was unkind. That's all I can really say about it. This book is not the kind of book you talk about. It's sort of a slow, meandering stream. It's rather boring. The title makes it seem much more exciting than it actually is, as, not-really-a-spoiler, we don't get to meet Juliet and we sure as shit don't get to see her naked. This was my first exposure to Hornby and there might not be another one.

The one thing I really took away from this book (other than, of course, identifying with Duncan about the whole reclusive musician thing) was an appreciation of my wife. There is something to be said for the familiar and it takes so little to lose it. And once lost, it can be oh-so-difficult to regain.

I really wished this book would have been better. It was so middle of the road that it might as well have been a pair of solid yellow lines.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Juliet, Naked.

message 1: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Appleyard Let me know what you think of this one; I put it on my list ":to read" a little while back. I thouhght it sounded really interesting.

Caris My review should be up in a couple of days. I've been a bit slow getting through it.

message 3: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Appleyard It's okay...I see you're reading multiple books! Ha ha. But i'll see it when you put it up. :)

Emily I was disappointed by this book too. I have read some other Hornby novels, I liked A Long Way Down and About a Boy a lot better.

Caris I'm not sure I'm willing to give him another chance. It was just so sappy and boring. A Long Way Down was the first of his books that caught my eye, but, for some reason, I ended up with this instead. Probably a bad decision.

Emily Haha, yeah, this one was the first of his I read as well, and I almost gave up. I like A Long Way Down, High Fidelity was alright and I liked About a Boy (though I liked the movie better). I wouldn't say I love him as an author though. He has good ideas, but a lot of his characters are whiney little bitches and they don't always evolve. Of the ones I have read, I would vote you try ALWD.

Caris I'll keep that in mind, then. Whenever I'm in the mood for some whiny bitches.

Jasmine okay I know that I loved this book. but that's beside the point.

I think it is doing hornby no favors that he is advertised as an author who writes about music, because the fact is no matter what he or critics thinks his books are not at all "music obsessed" type books. I think this book is actually about relationships and hey you got that. Yay. But yeah he's not for everyone.

I'm reading something called the alternative hero now and well I'm drowning in a sea of music references I don't understand, so if that's something you like.

Jasmine Emily wrote: " He has good ideas, but a lot of his characters are whiney little bitches and they don't always evolve"

in fact they almost never evolve

Emily Jasmine wrote: "Emily wrote: " He has good ideas, but a lot of his characters are whiney little bitches and they don't always evolve"

in fact they almost never evolve"

yeah, thats my main problem with his novels.

Jasmine Emily wrote: "yeah, thats my main problem with his novels.
"

It's my favorite thing. But I get why people hate it.

message 12: by Bynz (last edited Jan 24, 2011 09:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bynz But I think they do evolve. It might not be paradigm shift but subtle changes in the way the characters think/live and that's why it's so much more realistic for me. (The only exception to this, IMO, was A Long Way Down; there were too few changes to concede there was any character development at all)

One other thing I like about Hornby is that he doesn't pretend to have all the answers. His books pose everyday relationship/life questions that we ask ourselves but he's never arrogant enough to imply he knows all there is to know, and to me, that suggests humility and maturity.

Plus, I really dig his humor! All that self-deprecation and humility combined with the characters' realistic vices is very refreshing! Although I do believe he has way more potential to create better books, I'm not complaining (far from it infact!) about the books that are going to pave the way for this earth-shattering book that is to come from him one of these days! ;)