Janna's Reviews > Lipstick Jihad: A Memoir of Growing up Iranian in America and American in Iran

Lipstick Jihad by Azadeh Moaveni

Nov 29, 09

Read in November, 2009

This was sort of interesting from a standpoint of learning about some Persian culture; but I don't think it was written particularly well. I kept feeling like the story was being set-up, but then realized that I felt this way all the way through the book. I didn't see what her deeper point was other than "living in Iran as a young woman who grew up in California with a romanticized notion of what old-Iran was like (that I picked up from my old relatives) is different that what I expected," and I got that point pretty quickly in the book. I actually picked that up from the back-cover description. Because it didn't seem to develop any further than random anecdotes, to me, it felt just whiny after a while. In a way, the author came across as naive because nothing she said about how Iran is today and what it's like to be a woman or a young person there was revelatory. Maybe she was too young to write a memoir. A little more life might give her a little more perspective and a more definitive, interesting point of view.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lipstick Jihad.