Joy's Reviews > I Have Lived a Thousand Years

I Have Lived a Thousand Years by Livia Bitton-Jackson

Oct 15, 07

Recommended for: all my friends
Read in October, 2007

I just previewed this book to see if I could recommend it to my students, as we are currently studying the Holocaust. I have read many books on the Holocaust, but this one especially moved me. Perhaps because it is written by a woman (Livia Bitton-Jackson)who endured Auschwitz and various other camps when she was only thirteen years old. Livia's perspective is especially poignant. When liberated, a German civilian approached her and expressed amazement that someone her age could have survived. When Livia asked the woman how old she thought she was, the woman replied, "Sixty or sixty-five." Livia was only fourteen when she was liberated. I highly recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Have Lived a Thousand Years.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Itzamara (last edited Nov 12, 2009 08:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Itzamara I strongly agree with these response. It's a book that moves everyone who reads it. Trying to figure out what this woman felt like to be treated like an animal, and not a person, being treated like no one it's supposed to treated, breaks your heart. I like the quote that you chose to put in your review. That is true, how can someone confuse a fourteen year old with a sixty five year old woman. This quote just makes us realize in what a horrible situation she was in. I am very happy that you recommended this book to your students, when I fist went to the library I wanted to read a book about the Holcoaust, and without knowing what to expect, I took it home and read it. It took me few minutes to actually stop and say ''I am like this girl, I could of been the one been treated like that'' and after a few sentences, tears started coming out of my eyes.