Ryan Mishap's Reviews > The Toyminator

The Toyminator by Robert Rankin

Nov 21, 09

bookshelves: adult-fantasy

The pun in the title will probably say more about whether you want to read a book like this or not, but here we go anyway....

This is the sequel to The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse, the bestest funny book you could read. Jack, a human, came to Toy Town--where toys are alive and people from fairy tales exist as the ruling class over the toys they deem inferior--and met Eddie the Teddy Bear, a most special bear who worked as a detective with Bill Winkle, who was missing at the time (the time of the first book, why do you ask?) Well, that case solved, right, and now we get the sequel. Following? I thought not, but no matter, read on.

As we start this second mostest funny book, Eddie is back to trying to cadge drinks at Tinto's bar, Jack is hot and heavy with a dollie he works with, and someone incinerated all the cymbal clapping monkeys in Toy Town. Jack and Eddie will soon be on the case, although it is unclear who, exactly, is the comedy side-kick. Spacemen, beyond the Second Big O, and enough movie cliches to up-end to fill a rather large book of up-ended movie cliches.

Once you've accepted Rankin's logic and abandoned what is now your illogic, you'll be fine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Toyminator.