Faith Mortimer's Reviews > The Island

The Island by Victoria Hislop

2272014
Nov 14, 09

Read in November, 2009

On reading the synopsis on the back cover, I thought The Island was going to be a fab read. Sadly it did not live up to my expectations.
The intro was a trifle long-winded and a poor reason for getting the storyline started. Once we had the flashback to the previous 1 or 2 generations, the story began to get better and more interesting. The middle was almost riveting in parts and I began to get absorbed into the story better.
However, once things began to change (for the better) for the lepers in the island colony the main theme began to drift away into a nondescript last few chapters.
Ideally I think the book shold have been finished at least 50 pages earlier, so as not to lose the interst of the reader.
I thought the actual writing lacked a certain 'somewhat' - it was overly filled with adjectives and some of the text was too descriptive.
What I would call a 'holiday read' picked up at the airport.
Very disappointing and I doubt if I'll read another of Ms Hislop's unless I'm feeling soft.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Island.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jacquelynn Luben Couldn't help but agree with your comments, Faith. She had very interesting subject matter, but her prose, at times, was dire.