Jenn's Reviews > Kushiel's Dart

1200740
Apr 03, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, epic-fantasy
Read from March 01 to 30, 2010

I appologize to those of you who have been waiting for me to review this book. Unfortunately it has worked out so that everytime I try to sit down and write it I was so tired I kept falling asleep. This made me really sad because it's exactly the opposite of how I feel about the book.

Everytime I picked this book up I was suddenly emmersed in this world with out having to try. What I found interesting about this particular fantasy world is that it actually takes place in Europe. Except it's kind of an alternate post Roman Europe (mostly France), so it's not really locked down into historical events from our timeline but there are hints of them throughout the story. There are ellusions to Christ and other religious figures but Christianity never took hold and prostitution is considered a form of religious worship.

The characters were absolutely fantastic. Phedre was exactly the kind of heroine I love. She was far from the "perfect hero" but she always stayed true to herself, and used that as a source of strength in her moments of weakness. I found her easy to like and as the book went on I grew very attached to her. Anafiel Delaunay has got to be one of the most fascinating fictional men I have met in a long time. He was Phedre's savior, but at the same time he used her for his own agenda. He was so shrouded in mystery you were never quite sure how much mystery there was. Yet for some reason you can't help but trust him and feel safe when he's around. Acluin was so naturally alluring and innocent you couldn't help but love him. I think I would describe the villian as being almost romantically evil. In many ways she was exactly the same as Delaunay, the one difference being the lack of reguard for anyone but herself. However, the same things that attract you to Delaunay also make her magnetic. I think my favorite character was Joscelin. He can be summed up in his vow, "To serve and to protect" and yet he is so much more.

I've read criticism of this book saying it was far too heavy handed with foreshadowing. I would say that's true, but not so much to keep me from reading it. I equate her foreshadowing to watching a horror movie. Everyone knows you should never go investigate the strange noise, and yet someone does everytime. You scream at the TV while it's happening but you love every second of it, and the people who scream the loudest always love it the most. What started to bug me was she really should have varied her phrases more often. I felt like some of the descriptors were way over used. My other criticism was I felt like the ending should have been reorganized a little. The last chapter is all set up for the rest of the series, so it obviously needs to be there, but the way it's layed out it gives a sense of a false ending in the chapter before. I feel like the last chapter should have almost been an epilogue.

When I was reading it I felt like this book had all the elements of a good fantasy. I kinda feel like this might be what you would get if Troy Game and A Song of Ice and Fire had a baby.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kushiel's Dart.

03/02/2010 page 50
show 5 hidden updates…

message 1: by Logan (new) - added it

Logan You have to tell me how it is. I've been considering that book for years.

Jenn I will totally let you know, I was looking for some new fantasy to read and this looked good.

message 3: by Britt (new) - added it

Britt I'm seeing this book everywhere all of the sudden. Weird. Let me know too how it is:)