Charmaine Kho's Reviews > Become a Better You: 7 Keys to Improving Your Life Every Day

Become a Better You by Joel Osteen

Jan 12, 10

Recommended for: everyone who needs instant inspiration
Read in November, 2009

A life saver! full of enlightenment too! "Become a Better You" provides an understanding of God's words and gifts bestowed to us. Joel gives his own experiences and good insights, always referring to the Bible's verses. His explanation of the passsage meanings are clear and easy to understand. From the first chapter to the last, his messages continued to keep my self-motivation fueled. I find the messages within vital for anyone who wants improvement in the quality of his/her life. Below are some aspects of what you will read in this book.
1. It is always encouraging to help others in anyways possible but first help yourself.
2. Be cheerful and put a smile on. It is always a pleasure to see someone smiling.
3. Do not worry too much about anything, focus on God's might. When you set your mind and hope for the best, you will slowly begin to change how you feel, and claim in Jesus's name that you will heal in whatever weakness or illness that you may have.
4. “to forgive is to forget” - When you genuinely forgive someone, there is a feeling of peace within yourself. Quoted “A new beginning established, a new foundation is laid and will bear good fruit”
5. Stay optimistic, think positive in all aspects. Positive thoughts create good outcome. We know that it is not easy to do that sometimes but it is a sure way to bring in positive results, if you look at a certain problem or circumstances from a different angle. Throughout this book, Joel repeatedly reminds us readers that to remember always, " if God closes one door in your life, He is going to open another door or window to better things for you." Learn to trust in His guidance.
If you are finding yourself always on the "down" side of life...this read will definately give you that "push" to lift you up and bring you closer to God. When life seems worrisome and the feeling of hopelessness lingers on...remember this poem:
"Footprints in the sands"
One night I had a dream--
I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord
and across the sky flashed scenes from my life.
For each scene I noticed two sets of footprints,
one belonged to me and the other to the Lord.
When the last scene of my life flashed before me,
I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
I noticed that many times along the path of my life,
there was only one set of footprints.
I also noticed that it happened at the very lowest
and saddest times in my life.
This really bothered me and I questioned the Lord about it.
"Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you,
you would walk with me all the way,
but I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life
there is only one set of footprints.
"I don't understand why in times when I needed you most,
you should leave me."
The Lord replied, "My precious, precious child,
I love you and I would never, never leave you
during your times of trial and suffering.
"When you saw only one set of footprints,
it was then that I carried you."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Become a Better You.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mongol (new)

Mongol And how does Joel know what God is going to do?

You can't always be positive either. It's probably easier when you rake it in like Joel though.