Bonnie Gayle's Reviews > Love, Ruby Lavender

Love, Ruby Lavender by Deborah Wiles

Dec 13, 07

bookshelves: reread, childrens, reviewed, library-books
Recommended for: fans of children's books with spunky Southern characters
Read in December, 2007

I reread this book, because I enjoyed it so much when it was read aloud at the beginning of each class, a chapter a day, by the Professor of a children's literature class I took in 2004. In fact, the Professor that read it aloud to my class, Nancy Johnson, is thanked by the author in the Acknowledgements section of the book.
I was hoping my reread of it would be as good as the first time, but Nancy Johnson did the voices, and reading it to myself just wasn't the same, although I did still enjoy the story!

Ruby Lavender has grown up in a small town in the South, best friends with her eccentric Grandmother. During the summer that the book takes place in, Ruby's Grandmother leaves, for the first time in Ruby's life, to go to Hawaii to meet her new granddaughter. Ruby feels abandoned and left alone to deal with the wretched Melba Jane, and her own emotions following an "accident" that the reader is left to wonder about until the end of the book. The story is told through letters between Ruby and her Grandmother, and also narrative, telling what is going on in Ruby's life.

The story has an amazing sense of place and voice, the characters are lively and interesting, and the reader is right there with Ruby Lavender as she makes her way through a difficult summer.
Highly recommended for more comfortable readers, and also it's a great one to read-aloud!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love, Ruby Lavender.