Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > The Guns of the South

The Guns of the South by Harry Turtledove

** spoiler alert ** I read this years ago and I must say i liked it. Unfortunately it was the last in this seemingly endless series of books I did like. This one explores the anachronistic arrival of some South African white supremacists with a large supply of AK-47s to the south during the Civil War. The (somewhat predictably) changes the outcome of said war, and the CSA is established as a separate country.

Pet Peeve:
One of my big argument with this book is that after the war the 2 border states KY. and MO. hold a "popular referendum" to see if they'll join the Confederacy of the Union. He writes that KY goes with the CSA and MO goes with the USA. Looking at history and the MO KS conflict along with the fact that the Mountain and Cumberland Plateau areas (in TN, NC and KY) went largely Union I think it would have gone the other way.

As I said this is a good and interesting read but the series then turns into a sort of "soap-opera" (as has happened with some other Turtledove books). So I read this, then later on started a couple of the later ones ...... and put them down.

But, as I said this one is worth the read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Guns of the South.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna (new) - added it

Donna Mike, sounds interesting. I just ordered it. I couldn't resist since one of my all-time favorite books is The Killer Angels Have you read that one? If not, I highly recommend it!

Mike (the Paladin) I've read part of Jeff Shara's American Revolution series, but haven't read anything by Michael... More to the "to be read" file I suppose. I'd like to live long enough to read all I plan to read. LOL

message 3: by Werner (new) - added it

Werner Mike, I haven't read any of Turtledove's work, but I have read about it. To clarify a point, this book is actually a stand-alone. The series that begins with How Few Remain, though it also deals with a timeline in which the South won the Civil War, is set in a different timeline than the one here --in the one in the series, the victory was won through British and French military intervention.

Mike (the Paladin) I picked up one after this on the civil war theme...and put it down quick. The same happened with his "invaders arrive during WWII novels. They were a great idea that he turned into a soap opera.

So apologies on my thinking the South victorious theme was carried on from here...but my objection stands. he's just too prone to writing soap opera. Of course for those who like soap opera that may not be a bad thing. :)

message 5: by Donna (new) - added it

Donna Mike wrote: "I've read part of Jeff Shara's American Revolution series, but haven't read anything by Michael... More to the "to be read" file I suppose. I'd like to live long enough to read all I plan to read. LOL"

I tried those after Killer Angels, but found them much drier and too much like a history textbook with some character narration thrown in. (Can you tell I'm more into "escapism"?) I enjoyed Michael's book so much better!