Teresa B's Reviews > Crepúsculo

Crepúsculo by Stephenie Meyer

2720349
Jan 22, 10

bookshelves: fantasy-mythical-magical, romance, en-espanol

Already knowing the story in English, I dusted off my Spanish brain cells by attempting this edition... with my Spanish/English dictionary close at hand!

I did not enjoy this as much as the original. I felt the translation fell short of recreating the emotional nuances of the relationships in the story. There were a number of times I exclaimed to my (poor, captive) family, "Ugh! Listen to this passage. In English it says 'this' but in Spanish it only says 'that.'" [After a while they started rolling their eyes at me, but even so, a few times what I relayed (almost) made them mad, too.:]

This was a good intellectual exercise for me, but it has taught me one thing: When MY book(s) finally get published, I'm going to want REALLY GOOD translators to work on the foreign editions!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crepúsculo.

11/13/2009 page 52
10.16% "Boy, is my Spanish RUSTY!"
11/19/2009 page 125
24.41% "Haven't had to use my Spanish dictionary this much since college."
11/23/2009 page 201
39.26% "Good example of "loses something in the translation.""
11/26/2009 page 259
50.59% "Yesterday I had a dream in Spanish for the 1st time in years. The characters in THIS book were interacting with the characters in MY book!"
11/29/2009 page 335
65.43% "So much better in English. The translator leaves out so many important nuances of detail and motivation! It is becomming annoying."
01/20/2010 page 472
92.19% "almost done...REALLY "loses something in the translation""
show 2 hidden updates…