Robin Cicchetti's Reviews > The Gospel According to Larry

The Gospel According to Larry by Janet Tashjian

Nov 13, 2009

bookshelves: coming-of-age, fiction, friendship, relationship, young-adult

Inspired by Thoreau's messages of simplicity and anti-materialism, Larry is an Internet sensation with millions of followers. His "gospel" rails against the cult of celebrity and our consumer culture, and it resonates with people around the world who form clubs and discussion groups to more fully explore Larry's ideas. There is a manic fascination as to the true identity of Larry with reporters sniffing out every clue in a race to "out" this spiritual guru of contemporary culture.

There is only one problem. Larry is really a 17 year old boy named Josh. The voice is very authentic and engaging, and the plot very credible as Josh's life, love, grief and self-discovery unfold.

This is a great book that asks big questions, yet is firmly rooted in the teen experience. I am heading straight into the sequel "Larry and the Meaning of Life" because I simply must know what happens next. The sequel is set at Walden Pond, which is another strong draw for me. I may have to visit this weekend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gospel According to Larry.