Eileen Granfors's Reviews > Blame

Blame by Michelle Huneven

Nov 16, 09

bookshelves: families, highly-unusual, local-color, women, medical-issues
Read in November, 2009

Here's a book I almost didn't finish because the first chapters did not invite my interest. But I kept going into the next 40 pages, and at last, the story caught fire.

The story opens with an odd episode of a lady's man, Brice; his niece, Joey; and his date-of-the-night, Patsy. Patsy is wasted on pills and booze, but Joey seems to be the focus of the novel. NOT.

Patsy, a history professor, wakes up in jail and finds herself charged with vehicular homicide. She is an alcoholic.

From that point in the story, things are interesting: prison, prisoners, release, AA, looking for a place out in the world again, men and more men, choices, some good, some bad.

I'm still not sure why the publishers put a spoiler on the cover flap, and I'm not going to reveal it here. If you pick up this novel, do not read the cover flap. . . and persevere through the first 50 pages. You will find insightful look at what it means to live life again after life has been out of control. In the end, I am a big fan of Michelle Huneven -- a surprise!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blame.