Stephanie's Reviews > Emergency Sex (And Other Desperate Measures): True Stories from a War Zone

Emergency Sex (And Other Desperate Measures) by Kenneth Cain

Nov 15, 09

bookshelves: africa, book-club, read2009, nonfiction
Read in November, 2009

I have mixed feelings about this book. In the end I settled on four stars because I think it describes important events going on in the world that we as Americans tend to forget about, except for those of us living and working "out in the field" trying to explain things to folks back home. Maybe because I'm a little bit older than the characters were at the start of the book, I found them annoying. By the end I appreciated them more, but I didn't see a smooth development of character in any of them. It's as if they just woke up one day and said, "We're grownups now." I felt a little sorry for them at first, as it seems like the UN didn't give them much training in hardship/conflict living. I actually felt better about the whole book after reading the new afterward to this edition, answering some of the questions I had. Questions that I think should have been answered within the narrative in order to make the book more complete.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emergency Sex (And Other Desperate Measures).