Myles's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling

Jan 14, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, fantasy
Read from December 21 to 28, 2011

This is a lot of book to love, and in many ways the series reached new heights with Order of the Phoenix, but I have a nagging doubt in my head about the necessity of such a large book in the series. And yet, there is very little that I can point to in the book and say that 'X' can be completely done away with. Maybe Grawp....

Harry's angst and cluelessness is almost insufferable at times, but works ultimately because of Rowling's gradual shift in tone and style that allows these books to go from the absurd to the deadly serious in a single page without causing the reader to blink an eye. Goblet of Fire's seeming excesses actually laid the groundwork for the development the characters (from Hermione to Percy) would follow through to the end.

Umbridge is excellent. She represents a far more real evil than all the Death Eaters combined, meddlesome and untouchable. Luna is excellent. The D.A. was excellent. The whole book is, really. It's still hard to believe that 200 pages go by before Harry even sets foot in Hogwarts, but the series had long since outgrown its old format. My recollections of this book tend to be more negative when compared to other highlights in the series but there is little I don't like about the actual contents of the book aside from Harry's attitude. Which is silly since Harry Potter is about the most justifiably angsty 15-year-old that ever walked the literary landscape.

You'd think he'd have had more sense with Cho though.

Next: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

12/22/2011 page 179
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

~Geektastic~ You'd think he'd have had more sense with Cho though.

I used to think that too, but then again, his only real experience with girls is Hermione, and she's not like Cho at all.

The first time I read this, Harry's attitude drove me crazy. But when I read it again, it started to make more sense, especially thinking back to when I was 15 and unreasonably angry at just about everything.

Myles That's true, I had some pretty bad lapses in high school myself even considering I was bound to be out of step with boy-girl dynamics. In one extreme case I went with a girl on a sleigh ride (seriously) and had no idea it was even a date; she was pretty miffed by the end of it because I kept talking to the other couple and the driver. She kind of rightly assumed that I should have realized what the situation was when I was asked to go on a freakin' sleigh ride.

The book is great. Reading it now I can see how Rowling captures the anger and confusion of 15 and 16 really well.

Sarah "Umbridge is excellent. She represents a far more real evil than all the Death Eaters combined, meddlesome and untouchable."

I agree completely! The summer this came out, I was working at a Girl Scout camp that had its own Umbridge at the council office. She would show up at the camp all sweetness and light, while offhandedly talking about things she had no knowledge of but wanted control of nonetheless. We hated her so much, and then there she was on the page as well.