Myles's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling

Jan 18, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult
Read from December 28, 2011 to January 03, 2012

This book was the root cause of the biggest spoiler controversy I've ever known. I inadvertantly avoided it by being on an internet blackout in the weeks leading up to Half-Blood Prince's release. Otherwise I would have totally been a victim of something along these lines. As peeved as I would have been to have been so spoiled, the video delivers. Funny indeed.

Order of the Phoenix had been such a glorious mess I wasn't sure what to expect. The sideplots weren't as interesting: Ginny dating, Harry's feverish obession with Malfoy (sure, he was right, but it was little much), Ron and Hermione inching along, etc.

I try not to say anything about the unfeasibility of parts of this series, but what kind of education is anybody getting at this school if standard textbooks haven't been updated in 40 years or more? In the next book we find out that the only available history text stops at the begining of the 20th century(!)....Snape should not have stopped at Dumbledore, most of the faculty deserves to be put under simply for not updating their curriculum. ever.

But the main thrust of the book--Harry's lessons with Dumbledore and Snape which fill the reader in on so much back-history, and the introduction of Horcruxes, and the big climax are so compelling that Half-Blood Prince is as readable as any of the others.

Next: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

12/28/2011 page 203