Claire's Reviews > Your Money or Your Life: Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Achieving Financial Independence

Your Money or Your Life by Vicki Robin

Apr 18, 2007

Recommended for: Those struggling to find work that doesn't make them miserable
Read in February, 2004

YMYL was recommended to me by a friend, who gave up her stable teaching position to run a used bookstore after reading this book. This was my first foray into the self-help genre. The prose is laughably hokey at the most inopportune times, but the message is worth slogging through the mantras and the affirmations. Plus, the "nine-step program" actually works, if you're willing to commit to it. I started out, skeptical, with a step I thought I could stick to—keeping track of my spending, and became curious about the rest of my financial health from there. By the time, a year-and-a-half later, I faced the last maudlin step (calculating how much time you have left in your life), I found it so thoroughly shocking (in my case, less than half a million hours based on average life expectancy) that I realized staying in a job that made me miserable wasn't worth it, so I quit. I guess, in that sense, this book delivers on its hokey promise to change your life.
11 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Your Money or Your Life.