Billie Pritchett's Reviews > On Truth

On Truth by Harry G. Frankfurt

1571969
Nov 12, 09

Read in November, 2009

Although I think the subject of Harry Frankfurt's book is immensely interesting, this book wasn't. Frankfurt argues that truth is important because it is useful in people's lives and that the discovery of truth provides people with an understanding of the limitations of reality. The argumentation is sound, but the book could have been more substantive. For example, he could have given detailed cases that demonstrate the usefulness of truth and the limitations people can discover by virtue of understanding reality. But the essay is sketchy when it comes to details. And, again, this is in spite of the fact that I agree with his reasoning to the importance of truth. I should say, though, that the presentation of the topic of truth is similar to the presentation of the topic of BS. Where that book succeeded and this book failed was in the need to delineate the concept that was being presented. With the previous book, there was a need to delineate the concept of BS. Here Frankfurt does not feel as though he needs to delineate the concept of truth, but rather frame commonsense ways that truth is important, which leads to a somewhat boring book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Truth.