Josiah's Reviews > Pictures of Hollis Woods

1914201
Nov 13, 2009

liked it
Read in November, 2009

Pictures of Hollis Woods is a tremendous, deeply moving story told by a writer who is capable of the most wonderful kind of sensitivity in introducing new people, and making us care about them.
The narrative that is Hollis Woods's life resounds with perfect pitch, touching the heart and allowing us to see how Hollis thinks, and why she does the things that she does. It shows us what it's like to be hurting so deeply because one feels unwanted by anyone, to feel like the unexplained extra puzzle piece that can never serve any purpose other than to disrupt the happiness of others, despite one's own powerful need to fit in and find people to love, and who love oneself.
The emotions of this book are very real, and glow as the treasure that they are even as the wonderful writing of Patricia Reilly Giff sparkles at every turn. There's a hint of magic, or of love, sewn into the fabric of this narrative, and it is this that gives the story its true beauty.
Pictures of Hollis Woods is a remarkable story of family love, and of the deep need for connectedness that resides in the heart of us all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pictures of Hollis Woods.

11/12/2009 page 1