Erin's Reviews > Imperial Reckoning: The Untold Story of Britain's Gulag in Kenya

Imperial Reckoning by Caroline Elkins

Dec 23, 09

Read in December, 2009

another book to read as I prepare for my Kenya trip. I've been told that this book gives a pretty definitive description of all that Kenya has been through and elucidates why the country is, the way it is today, due to all that it has endured.

update, 12/23: i finished this while i was in kenya with my grad program. i told my profs that they should have made this required reading for everyone going to kenya because it gave such a detailed, yet accessible, overview of kenya from what led up to the Mau Mau Revolution through Jomo Kenyatta's presidency. parts of this book are really tough to get through - elkins doesn't shy away from the grotesque details of the torture many Kenyans endured at the hands of other pro-British Kenyans or the colonizers, themselves - and for this, I'd say this book isn't for the weak at heart. It's definitely worth the reading and the 300+ pages the author devoted to it, though. (in fact, i think she won the pulitzer for this work)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Imperial Reckoning.