Michelle Delgado's Reviews > Dani Noir

Dani Noir by Nova Ren Suma

Nov 12, 2009

bookshelves: children

This book took me back thirty years. That's a strange statement since this book is set in the 21st century with references to cell phones and the internet. However,as times change adolescence remains the same in many ways.It reminded me of what it's like to be a thirteen year old girl. Dani loves old black and white noir movies and has a vivid imagination. When she happens on a mystery of her own,she (in her own mind) becomes a noir heroine as she seeks to solve the mystery and protect a friend.As a kid, I loved black and white movies and the Beattles. So, just like Dani I wasn't exactly into the trends of the time.Dani is also dealing with her parents divorce and a friend who seems to have forgotten her. This story deals with loyalty,lies,trust,friendship,guilt and resentment!(hard to get a handle on at any age) Dani deals with all these issues in her own unique,fiesty and nosy way. When I finished I thought wow- I would have loved this book as a kid. Then I thought,wait, I thoroughly enjoyed it despite being old!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dani Noir.