Kristin's Reviews > Dark Lover

Dec 10, 10

bookshelves: i-own
Read in November, 2009

Epic.
That's all I have to say about this novel. I'm gonna make this a short review.

When I first started to read it, I was a bit thrown off. Probably because J.R. is so creative she created a whole new idea to the word 'vampire' that there were terms that I didn't know, I was slightly confused by all the POV changes but I quickly got over that.

The books can be read individually but don't because of the reason above. I tried bypassing books 1 and 2, and get straight to 3 (because I heard it was so good) but I couldn't get pass the second page because I didn't know what the flip was going on and I really wanted to enjoy the book so I went on and shelled some skins on the first two. Best decision I ever made. So, I recommend that you read them--in order, first to last. That way you can get use to the whole universe and won't find yourself constantly asking, "Wait. What???". It seriously kills the whole experience.

What I loved about this book is that J.R. Ward doesn't waste anytime, the romance is not too sappy, her wording and dialogue is so much fun to read, and everything she puts in this book is important. There are no fillers or any that crap, every word serves a purpose. The characters are VERY easy to fall in love with, this is a fantastic bunch she came up with.

And the Brothers...Oh, my God....scorchin' is an understatement.

Someone recommended this book to me and told me once I get started, it'll be like I'm on crack. I can't even deny it, I'm a junkie now. I'm telling you, as soon as I finished, AS SOON, I set out to go get "Lover Eternal", when my local Barnes and Nobles didn't have it (And get this: they had all the other books but not that one), I drove 30 minutes out of town to another bookstore and bought it (My guess is that not alot of people read where I'm from because, we only have that barnes and nobles). This was yesterday, and I'm already almost halfway through the book. I bought Lover Awakened in advance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Lover.

Quotes Kristin Liked

J.R. Ward
“Welcome to the wonderful world of jealousy, he thought. For the price of admission, you get a splitting headache, a nearly irresistable urge to commit murder, and an inferiority complex. Yippee.”
J.R. Ward, Dark Lover

11/12/2009 page 70

Comments (showing 1-12)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Great review, Maddywoo. The BDB series is definitely like book crack. :)

Aimee Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Great review, Maddywoo. The BDB series is definitely like book crack. :)"

I agree...I commonly refer to the addictive ones as literary heroine or complain that they laced the pages with crack!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I like that, Aimee. I shall have to use the phrase, 'literary heroin.' It is very applicable!

Nicole Mcadam Awesome review!

Kristin Nicole wrote: "Awesome review!"

Hey, thank you!!!!! =D

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I like that, Aimee. I shall have to use the phrase, 'literary heroin.' It is very applicable!"

You know how druggies go around thumping their veins, getting ready for their next fix? I find myself caressing the spines of books in bookstores while debating whether to cave or not.

Awesome review!!! Wow... I just love this series.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Same here, D! I find myself caressing books very often. Kind of sad!

♡Karlyn P♡ Nice review! I'm actually doing a re-read of this one now (on audio), and I am surprised how many little things I forgot. But of course, the heat between Wrath and Beth was unforgettable. :-) I honestly don't know why I love it so much as parts of this series is kind of nuts. Of course the names are strange, but bad guys that smell like baby powder? For real? But the magic of this series is in the sum of all its parts - and together it just works for me. No explaining it.

message 4: by Kristin (last edited Dec 11, 2010 11:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristin KarLynP wrote: "Nice review! I'm actually doing a re-read of this one now (on audio), and I am surprised how many little things I forgot. But of course, the heat between Wrath and Beth was unforgettable. :-) I h..."

My history teacher this semester smelled like baby powder and I found it comforting for some reason, even though I had read these books LOL
I think what we love about this series so much is that The Warden did not conform to the basic and universal idea to the word "vampire" she took it and mold it completely to an almost different shape. Till this day, I'm blown away by the amount of creativity and thought she put into this. Much like the Demonica series by Larissa Ione.

World building is no joke, it can sometimes take longer than actually writing the book.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Glad to see you on here, Kristin. I missed you!

Kristin Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Glad to see you on here, Kristin. I missed you!"

I've missed you as well, Lady D!!!! I've actually got some free time so I can spend it on here!