Kate's Reviews > Désirée

Apr 21, 07

bookshelves: nonfiction-bios, historical-fiction
Recommended for: Suzy
Read in August, 2004

I'm not sure where you would even find this book in print anymore as I read my mom's old paperback copy from the 70s and I have never seen it in stores.

If you can find it though, it's definitely worth it, especially if you enjoy historical fiction. The book follows the life of Desiree, the woman who was engaged to Napoleon before he "hit the big time." Instead though, she eventually marries one of his rivals and complications ensue.

It's very readable and really interesting because it's all based on the true life events and individuals of the Napoleonic period. Of course it relays much of the information about the wars and political intrigue, but it is much more about the life of the lead female as an aristocratic woman and her personal struggles in relation to the volatile national events of the time. Kind of a love story, but so much more.

I really enjoyed this book and would definitely recommend reading it if that is your cup of tea.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Désirée.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

María Paola Hi, actually is available in amazn, both paper and kindle edition. I also enjoyed it a lot