Emily's Reviews > The Bird's Nest

The Bird's Nest by Shirley Jackson

Nov 15, 09

bookshelves: classics, mystery
Read in November, 2009, read count: 1

I just finished this book after starting it two days ago. I must say, after reading it, my brain is exhausted. However, the exhaustion is not to be confused with dislike for The Bird's Nest. I enjoyed it very much. It's just a lot to take in--hard to follow if you will. It all comes together as the book progresses, but for a majority of the reading, the reader is left confused and inquiring about what is being said or what has happened. Though that is the point, I'd imagine.

The book is about a woman, although treated as a girl, named Elizabeth Richmond. Her mother has died years ago and she's been under the care of her aunt. She is a dull, monotonous, and uninteresting girl until suddenly her mental health seems to be deteriorating. The book follows the deterioration of her mind and the journey she, her aunt, and her doctor take as a result--the problems caused and the help applied.

The story has surprises and well-developed characters, although at times it can be very wordy. I do recommend it to those who enjoy trying to figure out unanswered questions before the end of the book. The whole time I read, I was trying to guess how the rest of the book could play out (perhaps contributing to the exhaustion of my mind).

A good read, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bird's Nest.

Quotes Emily Liked

Shirley Jackson
“Elizabeth, Beth, Betsy, and Bess, they all went together to find a bird's nest...”
Shirley Jackson, The Bird's Nest

Shirley Jackson
“Say Morg--you mind if I use the rest of your bath salts? There's only a little left.”
Shirley Jackson, The Bird's Nest

11/13/2009 page 15
11/14/2009 page 68
24.64% "Elizabeth, Beth, Betsy, and Bess, they all went together to find a bird's nest..."
show 2 hidden updates…