Laura Noto's Reviews > bow wow meow meow: it's rhyming cats and dogs

bow wow meow meow by Douglas Florian

Nov 15, 09

bookshelves: poetry

Summary-
Bow Wow Meow Meow is a poetry picture book about cats and dogs. It can be read by preschoolers to 3rd graders. It is a collection of 21 poems that each focus on a different breed. The first 11 poems are about animals in the dog family and the rest are about animals in the cat family. The poems are a variety of structures and they are accompanied by colorful watercolor paintings.
Response-
This book would be a fun read aloud as well as a great example of different forms of poetry. Most students enjoy reading about cats and dogs, and this could capture the attention of any class. A lot of the poems rhyme and some of the poems are visually attractive. They are on funny topics that many students could relate to.
I read this book to my class and then pointed out how we could model our poems to look like these. There are also a lot of other teaching options with this book (reading, rhyming, syllables, personification, poetry structures….) and you could motivate animal-loving learners to complete activities with this fun book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read bow wow meow meow.