Darcia Helle's Reviews > Shattered Silence: The Untold Story of a Serial Killer's Daughter

Shattered Silence by Melissa G. Moore

Nov 11, 2009

bookshelves: biographies-memoirs, culture-sociology, nonfiction
Read in November, 2009 — I own a copy

We often hear about the victims of brutal crimes. Newscasters tell us stories about their families and how they are suffering from the loss of their loved ones. Occasionally we get the inside story on a serial killer made famous by sensationalism. We’re told the gory details of his (or her) crimes and we attempt to delve into their minds to learn the why behind the behavior. However, it isn’t often that we hear from the family of the serial murderer. Rarely do we even consider what their lives must have been like.

Melissa Moore, daughter of the “Happy Face” killer, gives us that inside scoop. Melissa bravely shares an intensely personal story of what life was like for her and her family. We see this serial murderer through the eyes of a young girl who wants nothing more than her daddy’s love.

This book is an easy read, sort of like we’re sitting with Melissa as she confides in us. Her father puts the family through horrible psychological abuse while her mother stands by and allows it. I found her mother’s indifference appalling. Melissa had virtually no one to turn to. Whatever you may think of this book, it would be impossible not to walk away without immense respect for Melissa Moore.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shattered Silence.