Alejandro Bravo's Reviews > The Death of Artemio Cruz

The Death of Artemio Cruz by Carlos Fuentes

M_50x66
Nov 11, 09

Read in November, 2009

I had to read a book for my high school World Literature class and chose to read this book in particular because it seemed to be interesting. I did not know what to expect from this book because it caught me by surprise. The book starts off with a surprise in use of explicitness , the author Carlos Fuentes use rich imagery and other techniques to catch a reader and keep them focused and reading wanting to read on; though the novel is not simple it helps open up your imagination and think about what is occurring. Taking place within the Mexican revolution the main character lives through to see modern Mexico rise and be a part of it all. The novel is of a wealthy high class man Artemio Cruz who is in his death bed, lying there at his last moment there is a crowd of people among him many of which never loved him as he see it but only his wealth. He orders for his only loyal friend Padilla to bring a recorder to record his last spoken words. Then we learn of his life through his memories of his climb of poverty to wealth involving corruption, guilt, disloyalty, and affairs Speaking of his experiences of a crucial disturbing war, erasing all emotions from existence because there he meets the woman he loved and desired to live with the rest of his life but is sadly torn from his emotions in disbelief to find her dead. Through memories he slips in and out from dreaming and reliving to reality on his death bed. The book seems to go in a sequence of events starting from his recent memory to the first memory where he goes back to his birth here the novel ends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Death of Artemio Cruz.