Tom Gase's Reviews > Boom! Voices of the Sixties Personal Reflections on the '60s and Today

Boom! Voices of the Sixties Personal Reflections on the '60s ... by Tom Brokaw

Jul 10, 2010

did not like it
Read from July 06 to 10, 2010

Instead of Boom!, this book should have been called Now!. I picked up this book after looking at it in bookstores for almost two years. I loved Tom Brokaw's The Greatest Generation, so I said, "Why not?" This book I didn't like as much, however, because it was a little misleading. Not as much about the sixties, as much as what people from the sixties are doing now. I thought this would be a nice history book about the decade from 1960 to 1969. The author even has THAT different, saying the decade began when J.F.K. was shot and ended when Nixon resigned. So from 1963 to 1974. Wait, what??? And it mostly just focused on the year 1968, which would have been another great name for this book--1968.

What I really didn't like about this book is that is was way too much overkill on subjects like the Vietnam War, which apparently isn't as bad as the war in Iraq now, the Civil Rights movement, the Women's movement and the rise of rock n roll. Most of the book focuses on the first three things mentioned. Celebrity after celebrity was brought in to talk about those things, only problem was they all pretty much said the exact same thing. It was like reading an average to good short story 15 times in an hour.

And another thing I didn't like was how their was no mention until the very last six pages of the space race. Really, going to the moon wasn't a big thing in the sixties??? Really? I thought more should have been included on that.

I don't really recommend this book to anyone besides die-hard Tom Brokaw fans. It was well-researched but not well-written. I'm guessing there are better books out there on the decade. However, if you want a lot of information on JUST the year 1968, then you might like this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boom! Voices of the Sixties Personal Reflections on the '60s and Today.

07/06/2010 page 170