Sabrina's Reviews > The Grand Sophy

The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer

Nov 11, 2009

I own a copy

I was extremely excited for the chance to review Georgette Heyer's The Grand Sophy. Having heard so much about Mrs. Heyer and her books, I was sad to say I'd never read one before now. From the research I did, The Grand Sophy is beloved by readers. In fact, many deem it to be their favorite Heyer book. So, it was the perfect introduction into the world of Mrs. Heyer!

I was not disappointed! When an author and book are hyped so often, I sometimes worry that my expectations could never be met. This time though, they were exceeded and I had a very grand time reading this book.

Sophy was uterly charming character and managed to steal my heart as she does the family in the book. She was smart, sassy and meddlesome to perfection and unlike any other character I've read from writers of Mrs. Heyer's time period. It was a blast reading Sophy's exploits!

Heyer perfectly twisted a tale that includes a cast of characters you'll root for and some you'll root against, which makes it all the more fun. Through it all, you just know that Sophy will figure out how to set it all right and find her own happily ever after.

I can only wonder how I made it through advanced high school English classes and an English Major in college and not have been introduced to Mrs. Heyer. Mrs. Heyer should be required reading right alongside the likes of Austen and the Bronte sisters. Likewise, where are all the BBC adaptations of her books!

I'm very against spoilers, so I won't go into too much detail here except to say that if you haven't read The Grand Sophy you should do so immediately!Buy The Grand Sophy Here

Look for The Grand Sophy and other Heyer Classics to be reissued from Soucebooks Casablanca with gorgeous new covers! Speaking of those cover, Smart Bitches Trashy Books did a fantastic interview with the designer of the new covers and its definitely worth the read. Smart Bitches Interview Here.

Have you read Heyer before? If so, tell us about the book and what you thought!

Happy Reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grand Sophy.