babyhippoface's Reviews > The Very Ordered Existence of Merilee Marvelous

282057
Oct 15, 07

bookshelves: kids-fiction
Read in October, 2007

Ummm... what to say.... This book felt like a 376-page version of The Higher Power of Lucky, which I wasn't thrilled about, either.

People in town kept calling Biswick retarded, but I didn't think that ever came across in the way he spoke or behaved. He was just...well, a weird little kid.

The same for Merilee. Asperger's? I don't know anything about Asperger's but she certainly deviated from her "very ordered existence" a lot without too much complaint. Her compulsions didn't seem like compulsions to me, just habits that she didn't like to break.

Plus--that girl on the cover? Definitely NOT Merilee. Everything about that girl--her clothing, her body language, her freshly-brushed hair, her anklet and bracelets, everything--exudes confidence. That girl is popular, I guarantee. And that girl is definitely not Merilee.

There was just a lot of sadness in this book. Sad things happened, people were sad... it was just sad.

And I don't need any more sad in my life, so... 2 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Very Ordered Existence of Merilee Marvelous.