Jennifer's Reviews > From Baghdad, With Love: A Marine, the War, and a Dog Named Lava

From Baghdad, With Love by Jay Kopelman

Nov 11, 09

bookshelves: own, non-fiction, theme-pets-and-animals
Read in January, 2006

Kopelman keeps it 'real' about the war in Iraq and the things highly trained soldiers go through, mentally, physically or otherwise. Saving Lava kept him from completely losing his humanity. Kopelman offers a laugh-your-butt-off commentary about the dog's antics, cliffhanger worry about whether or not Lava's story will end well, and a big picture of Lava's healing power and the hope that there are a lot of good people out there willing to offer a helping hand. I found myself laughing, I found myself crying. I picked this up on a lark, and I am so glad I did. If you're a dog lover, or you just want a general 'feel good' story, I highly recommend!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From Baghdad, With Love.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cassy You captured the main messages nicely. It was touching to see so many people devoted to protecting Lava. (Of course, there is the flip side with the military rules menacing poor Lava with expulsion or death - grr.)

Interesting - I never laughed anywhere. But I was really close to tears at one point!

Jennifer Hmm, maybe you didn't find Lava's shenanigans laughable?