Hannah's Reviews > Wintercombe

Wintercombe by Pamela Belle

Nov 29, 09

bookshelves: historicals
Read in November, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Well written, detailed historial romance set in the days of the English Civil War. I enjoyed Belle's deft handling of day-to-day activities of life during each season of the year in which the plot unfolds.

Would have rated it a 5 had it not been marred by the adultery at the end. Sorry, but I'm not sympathetic to love when it comes at the cost of broken marriage vows, regardless of how black a brush Belle paints the cuckholded husband. Was expecting hubby to conveniently die in battle, so was disappointed in how it wrapped up.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wintercombe.

Misfit I loved this book and the rest of the series. I challenge you to see the big twist at the end coming....

message 2: by Hannah (last edited Nov 11, 2009 11:33AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hannah Misfit wrote: "I loved this book and the rest of the series. I challenge you to see the big twist at the end coming.... "

After I read Sunne in Splendour, Wintercombe is next on my TBR pile. I'll probably have to renew it at the library as SiS is so long and my renewal date is fast approaching.

message 3: by Barb (new) - added it

Barb Another house book.
:0)

Misfit **bites nails**

Hope you like it.

Hannah Misfit wrote: "**bites nails**

Hope you like it."

I'm on page 136, and love it. Very descriptive.
I don't think this one's going to be a "did-not-finish"!

Misfit Good news. Check in at the end and let me know how you reacted to the big twist. Oh my I never saw that one coming.

Hannah Barb wrote: "Another house book.
:0)"

LOL! What can I say, I'm addicted to stately homes or quaint seaside cottages. I guess that's what comes of living in a 1970's apartment!

message 8: by Misfit (last edited Nov 29, 2009 04:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Misfit Oh pooh, but I can see your point.

Hannah Misfit wrote: "Oh pooh, but I can see your point."

What was the big twist at the end? I couldn't figure it out.

Misfit When he told her he was married. Although in book two....

Hannah Misfit wrote: "When he told her he was married. Although in book two...."

But wait, a few paragraphs afterwards it said that he was only talking about his sister-in-law and her children when he told Silence that he was married. He substituted her in place of his imaginary wife and kids.