K's Reviews > Running Blind

Running Blind by Lee Child

Nov 11, 09

bookshelves: suspense, mysterycrime
Read in November, 2009

Child plays around with the FBI/serial killer thriller genre in this 4th Reacher book--women scattered at the far extremes of the country are murdered in a cold, clinical, and bizarre manner by a killer who leaves absolutely no traces. Good for people who like mysteries where there are clues throughout, so that you feel like you had a fair shot of solving it even when everything comes as a surprise. Reacher is no longer the musclebound boneheaded thug of Tripwire, which was a relief. I kinda enjoy how all the love interests in these books seem like they could appear in fighting video games, with exaggerated physical features that seem to exist only to distinguish them from each other. Reacher's paramour here, a 6'1" FBI agent with an endless ponytail and fondness for form-fitting suits with ties, reminded me of SF4's Crimson Viper.

I would have given this five stars, if not for some majorly silly implausibilities, I mean, even beyond what one normally expects in these books. Like, how many times will Reacher be fingered for a crime he didn't commit? Also, was bothered by the book and Reacher's demonstrated hostility toward unattractive women :( I did feel some admiration at the meanness of this exchange, however:

Reacher listened to the contempt in her voice and stared at her thin hair, her frown, her crooked tooth, her hard dried-up body in its ludicrous cheap businesswoman's uniform.
"You think I'm making advances to you?"
"Aren't you? Wouldn't you like to?"
He shook his head again.
"Not while there are dogs on the street," he said.

Finally, I need to remember not to start these books at night, since I will stay up late to finish them even if I have work in the morning.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Running Blind.