Janssen's Reviews > Sleeping Naked is Green: How an Eco-Cynic Unplugged Her Fridge, Sold Her Car, and Found Love in 366 Days

Sleeping Naked is Green by Vanessa Farquharson

Nov 11, 09

bookshelves: 2009, memoirs, non-fiction
Read in November, 2009

This book had some really good ideas and discussion about being environmentally savvy, but also too much sleeping around and swearing for my taste. So, you know, mixed feelings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sleeping Naked is Green.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kelly I just requested it. I hope it's not preachy, but from the description you gave, ha, not so worried.

Janssen Yeah, she has some really interesting discussions about say, vegans, who think meat eaters are killing the planet, but have no qualms about eating spices that are only manufactured on the other side of the globe.

She did some things I would not do (sell her car? compost in her living room? not use toilet paper for #1?) but other things that I thought "oh, I could do that and it wouldn't even be too hard!"

So yeah, I think you'll like it.

Kelly Janssen wrote: "Yeah, she has some really interesting discussions about say, vegans, who think meat eaters are killing the planet, but have no qualms about eating spices that are only manufactured on the other sid..."

I get so annoyed with a lot of these sorts of books because the authors are never upfront with the fact they have money laying around to live this way. It sounds like this one might be different (though the car thing - did she pawn rides off her friends because it's not eco-friendly if it's being a pain in the butt :)

Janssen Kelly wrote: "Janssen wrote: "Yeah, she has some really interesting discussions about say, vegans, who think meat eaters are killing the planet, but have no qualms about eating spices that are only manufactured ..."

She was able to bike most places, I think, since she lived downtown (so not feasible for most of us). And yes, she did have a job this whole time :) She's a film critic and art reporter for a newspaper in Toronto.

Kelly Janssen wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Janssen wrote: "Yeah, she has some really interesting discussions about say, vegans, who think meat eaters are killing the planet, but have no qualms about eating spices that are only..."

Very cool! Ok, am sold on reading it now!

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa I can't believe you said "#1" in a review.

Janssen Lisa wrote: "I can't believe you said "#1" in a review."

Haha, I know!! But in my defense, it was in a COMMENT on the review, not the review itself :)

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa One would think you work with children!

Janssen Lisa wrote: "One would think you work with children!"

I actually probably wouldn't have used that term except that it's the one she used repeatedly throughout the book, so it was a natural one to use the day after finishing the book.