Sara Grochowski's Reviews > A Little Wanting Song

A Little Wanting Song by Cath Crowley

Jul 15, 10

bookshelves: reviewed
Read from June 12 to 16, 2010

I could tell by the description of A LITTLE WANTING SONG that I would enjoy it, but I had no idea how much I would come to love it. Often, when I finish a good novel, I'll feel satisfied, but ALWS was different. Cath Crowly left me longing... longing for more of this brilliant, soulful novel and the characters I had come to love.

ALWS is told in alternating point-of-view by Charlie and Rose, two girls who are, at first glance, complete opposites, but, in truth, have more in common than either ever imagined. At first, I felt much closer to Charlie, which I think was primarily due to her music. Her lyrics are simple, but so incredibly full of truth and raw emotion; I could feel the power behind them. It's just a little wanting song/ It won't go on for all that long/ Just long enough to say/ How much I'm wishing for/ Just a little more Rose is much more guarded than Charlie and keeps her emotions tightly locked away. It wasn't until she allowed some of that emotion to show that I really connected with her. By the time I finished the novel, I had become so invested in Crowley's characters that it was almost painful to leave them behind.

Often, in YA literature, parents are mysteriously absent. Other times, they are completely horrid. There are, of course, exceptions, but, in my experience, those exceptions are few and far between. In ALWS, Rose and Charlie's relationships with their parent(s) profoundly affects their actions and beliefs. I'm extremely greatful that Crowley focused on this aspect of Charlie and Rose's life, since, in real life, this relationship definitely has an impact.

Since ALWS is told from two POVs, the romance is unique. Charlie's budding romance with Dave, one of Rose's closest friends, was absolutely perfect. Their relationship moves slowly, with shy smiles and wistful glances. The tension between the two was fantastic. If Charlie and Dave's relationship is a steady flame, Rose and Luke's is an explosion. It isn't that the couple doesn't care deeply for one another - they honestly do - there's just many unresolved issues between the two. While the romantic in me dislikes their rocky relationship, I could identify with Rose's fears and anxiety, allowing me to appreciate it.

A LITTLE WANTING SONG is a gorgeous novel that has captured my heart and refuses to let go.

4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Little Wanting Song.

Quotes Sara Liked

Cath Crowley
“Open your eyes, Charlie love,' Mum whispers. 'You'll miss out on the day.' Not a lot to miss out on, really. My days have been sort of shakey lately. Like a voice running out of breath. Like a hand playing the blues. Like a girl losing her bikini top in the pool at Jeremy Magden's final party for Year 10 last week, if we're getting specific. Mum says look on the bright side. Okay. I guess I was only half naked.”

Cath Crowley
“I guess there are a lot of people who don't know the right thing to say. You don't notice them so much because they pretend they do.”

Cath Crowley
“People keep calling it an accident. That snake bit me on purpose. I've named it Sneaky. Sneaky had it all planned. I saw its face.”

“I like how you shake
Off years of ordinary
Cover me with extraordinary
Ways of seeing I never saw before
But now I do”

Cath Crowley
“We were the only three people awake in a world half asleep and the air felt heavy with maybe.”

Cath Crowley
“Her eyes always bothered me when we were kids. They still do. They make mine ache trying to see where they end.”

06/16/2010 page 228
100.0% "OH. OH. OH. I have no words to express how much I adore this novel."