Joel's Reviews > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Feb 21, 12

bookshelves: audiobooks, series, detective-y, 2009, translated
Read in November, 2009

ode to a dragon-tattooed girl

shall i compare thee to a cinematic adaptation of one of my favorite books?
thou art more genuine and less mass marketable.
rough cgi does shake my sense of disbelief,
and the movie's adaptation hath all too short a running time.
sometimes too overemphasized the plot and action sequences,
and often the depth of character dimmed.
and every sequel from prequel's quality declines,
by chance, or budgets allowed to expand, untrimmed.
but thy entertainment value shall not fade
nor be compromised by translation from one medium to anoth'r.
nor shall bloggers brag that the original was better
when in eternal lines to time thou ares't original.
so long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
so long lives this: the book was better, and so are thee.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenn(ifer) (new)

Jenn(ifer) clever, clever :)

Jesus Saldivia The book was SOOOOO much better. And the american movie version was better than the swedish, even though i like Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth Salander.

Joel i agree that the u.s. movie was better (and while i like both actresses, i think mara was closer to lisbeth in the books).

Tanja I prefer the Swedish title and have trouble understanding why they would change it in the English version. The Swedish translates to: Men that hate women. I like that title, it's straight to the point, no messing around and truer to the story in my most humble opinion :)

Tanja Or: Men who hate women. I'm not quite sure what sounds best. Someone professional should give it a go instead of completely changing it to something different. ;)

Joel "men who hate women" is more accurate, but "the girl with the dragon tattoo" is a much better title, particularly in english.

Tanja I see your point, it may be a cultural thing. It's a very powerful title in Danish and Swedish, but falls a bit flat in English. I just remember thinking it was a completely different book, when I picked it up in a bookstore in England :)

message 8: by Joel (last edited Feb 21, 2012 11:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joel it is also understandable considering they came to the u.k./u.s. after all three had been published in sweden. they wanted to make it clear they were a series, and they had to change the title of book 3 anyway since "the castle in the air that blew up" means nothing in english. "the girl who played with fire" presented a catchy template, plus the series really is lisbeth's story. i understand why stieg's window was upset with the change but i don't blame the publishers for it -- certainly the book's/trilogy's message still comes through loud and clear.

Tanja More The wind castle that blew up. I completely get why they changed that, that is a very scandinavian expression...

message 10: by Joel (last edited Feb 21, 2012 12:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joel Elizabeth wrote: "Joel wrote: ""the castle in the air that blew up" "

Was that the original title? But it's so much better!"

but what does it mean? the idiom sounds nice but doesn't directly translate.

i guess saying someone is living in an air castle is akin to saying "pie in the sky" or similar... the pie in the sky that burned!

Tanja Joel wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Joel wrote: ""the castle in the air that blew up" "

Was that the original title? But it's so much better!"

but what does it mean? the idiom sounds nice but doesn't directly tran..."

Tanja Also because it's an hollow belief, it's easily destroyed. Wind castles aren't that strong and built on weak foundations...

message 13: by Ken (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ken THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE is an alternative universe novel which won the Hugo for Philip K. Dick in 1963. However, THE MILLENNIUM SERIES by Stieg Larsson is streamable from Netflix, and each novel is a three hour film/9 hours total. Swedish sub-titles, but arguably the best adaptation of a series of novels ever put on film.

message 14: by Joel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joel uh, yes. i have seen the swedish versions. well, the shorter versions anyway. they are fine. i wouldn't call them the best adaptations ever but they are fairly faithful to the books.

aside from the coincidental inclusion of the word castle, not sure what PKD has to do with anything...

message 15: by Joel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joel Tanja wrote: "Wind/air castle is an expression for an empty idea or hollow belief. So when it's blown up basically it means that someone's basis for their hollow belief system was completely wiped out, with no chance of restoring it."

interesting... that has a bit of a different twist than the u.s. title, which is more focused on lisbeth stirring up more trouble than she knew when she set her dad on fire.

message 16: by kathleen (new)

kathleen Well done!

message 17: by Joel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joel kathleen wrote: "Well done!"

thank you!

Jennifer Might I suggest "doth" in line three?

message 19: by Kleopatra (new) - added it

Kleopatra Olympiou I'm planning to read this book soon so I can't really say anything content related about this review. What I can say is this is brilliant. I honestly giggled reading that first line of yours!