Lee's Reviews > The Joy of Vegan Baking: The Compassionate Cooks' Traditional Treats and Sinful Sweets

The Joy of Vegan Baking by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau

Jun 15, 11

bookshelves: cookbooks, veg-vegan, own, 2010-reads
Recommended to Lee by: Lisa V.
Recommended for: Anyone interested in vegan baking

This is an excellent, traditional, baking book with something for everyone. I have made 12 recipes so far, some of them multiple times and all have turned out very well. You would never guess, (and most people never do) that these recipes contain no dairy or eggs.

My favourites from top to bottom:

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Strawberry cupcakes
Chocolate Mousse
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Joy of Vegan Baking.

Lisa Vegan Yum! I have this book. I want to make those first three recipes you listed, and the cinnamon rolls too.

message 2: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee The first three recipes are the ones I make over and over again. In fact, I think I might make those muffins right now. The weather has suddenly turned cold and I wouldn't mind having the oven on.

The cinnamon rolls are time consuming because of all the steps and rising time but they're very good. You have to eat them fresh though or they go stale quickly.

Lisa Vegan Unfortunately, I'm sure I could eat my way through the cinnamon rolls. I wonder if they'd freeze and reheat well?

message 4: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee I don't think you could eat the entire pan before they would go stale. You probably could freeze them individually. Mmmmm, just thinking about it makes me want one. Thank goodness I've got the muffins in the oven.

Lisa Vegan Yeah, I would wrap and freeze them individually. But there's a great all vegan cinnamon roll place across the bay, so I might just go back there. I want to try one with maple frosting.

Their main page: http://www.cinnaholic-berkeley.com/
and
Take a look at their (all vegan!) menu for frosting flavors and toppings: http://www.cinnaholic-berkeley.com/me...

message 6: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee OMG, that looks amazing! I can't believe all the flavours!

Lisa Vegan Lee wrote: "OMG, that looks amazing! I can't believe all the flavours!"

I know!!! I've tried the coffee, peach, caramel frostings. I really want to try the maple. The chocolate chips are really good with the coffee and caramel, and I think the fresh fruit would be good with some of the flavors.

message 8: by Merry (new) - added it

Merry wow - this looks great and now with the 5 stars I have moved to the top of my read shelf - thank you Lee :)

message 9: by P. (new)

P. Lee,

It's an education seeing your book list and reviews and very enjoyable. Could you tell me what solid fat is used in vegan baking if any, or what the preferred fat is, if not solid?

thanks,

P.

message 10: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Merry, just so you know, this is a traditional baking book, it uses regular amounts of sugar and fat etc. No diet stuff here.

message 11: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Hi P, thanks for your comments. The solid fat that most vegans use to replace butter is called Earth Balance. It is a solid vegetable oil blend that you can buy in stick form or in a tub like margarine but it contains no hydrogenated oils. It tastes a lot like butter so I don't miss butter at all. Also, many recipes just call for canola or other vegetable oils. I love vegan baking and do quite a lot of it for my daughter who is also happy with the results.

message 12: by P. (new)

P. Lee wrote: "Hi P, thanks for your comments. The solid fat that most vegans use to replace butter is called Earth Balance. It is a solid vegetable oil blend that you can buy in stick form or in a tub like mar..."

Thanks! I've been curious since I've read Crisco is OK but Earth Balance seems much better and is readily available. They have a great web site.

message 13: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan P. Earth Balance tastes a great deal like butter, and is identical in baked goods! Yum!

message 14: by Merry (new) - added it

Merry Lee wrote: "Merry, just so you know, this is a traditional baking book, it uses regular amounts of sugar and fat etc. No diet stuff here."

....which is why it taste so good! LOL Everything in moderation! Lee, I love your review complete with your top recipes, helps me go straight to the successful ones, thanks :)

message 15: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee I have been cutting some of the sugar when I occasionally make these recipes now and they are just as good. I also completely forgot to add the "butter" the last time I made peanut butter cookies and they still tasted great with half the fat!

message 16: by Merry (new) - added it

Merry Lee wrote: "I have been cutting some of the sugar when I occasionally make these recipes now and they are just as good. I also completely forgot to add the "butter" the last time I made peanut butter cookies ..."

good to know

message 17: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn Lee wrote: "I have been cutting some of the sugar when I occasionally make these recipes now and they are just as good. I also completely forgot to add the "butter" the last time I made peanut butter cookies ..."

Lee, I saw you recommend this to Kim and I was coming on to post and see what you thought about the sugar content in the recipes. Do they require dry sweetener or can you sub with agave nectar? I find I don't do at all well with "regular sugar" but can do agave and I usually cut that in half, too. Thanks! :-)

message 18: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee There is quite a bit of sugar in a lot of these recipes but I think you could sub in agave for some of them. I haven't experimented a lot apart from reducing the amount of sugar in some recipes. This is usually not the book I go to for healthy desserts.

message 19: by P. (new)

P. I had some agave - organic - on blueberry pancakes yesterday - it was delicious.

message 20: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee It's quite yummy isn't it? I use it quite a bit in my regular cooking and like it.

message 21: by P. (new)

P. Yes. I was a bit surprised. I was expecting just sweetness, but got flavor!

message 22: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn Lee wrote: "There is quite a bit of sugar in a lot of these recipes but I think you could sub in agave for some of them. I haven't experimented a lot apart from reducing the amount of sugar in some recipes. ..."

Good to know. Thanks! I'll see if the library has this one.

message 23: by Sonia (new) - added it

Sonia Thank you for sharing all fav recipes. I just got my copy few weeks ago. Now, I know where to start. Thanks Lee! :)