Heather's Reviews > Outlander

Nov 24, 09

bookshelves: historical-fiction, 2009
Recommended to Heather by: T
Read in November, 2009

Outlander is a historical romance novel for those who scoff at them for pleasure. Filled with steamy smut, harrowing adventure, romance, time travel and fraught with exquisite detail and historical facts, Outlander packs a powerful punch. It even has hunky, hard bodied highlander, what more could a girl want?

I have been avoiding Outlander like the plague, deterred by its length, corny cover (truly is it horrid) and my loathing of romance novels. After years of taunting (does anyone else feel taunted by books?) and recommendations from fellow readers insisting that this wasn’t a typical bodice ripper, I gave in and curled up with Outlander. After 6 days of reading two hours a day, I finally finished it. I have to admit, I was impressed. Outlander was worth most of its 853 pages, though there are some that I would prefer to forget.

These characters are expertly woven, the plot moves at a quick, action packed pace and every detail is so intricately described that you feel as though you can see and hear everything as it is experienced. The characters were flawed and real. There was humor, love and some rather, uh, stimulating scenes. With that said, this book was just a wee bit ridiculous. While Claire was intelligent and would have made a worthy heroine in a book set in 1945, she clearly cast herself in the role of saucy wench, making one stupid mistake after another and jeopardizing everyone in the wake of her self destruction. It was so unbelievably frustrating that I wanted to throw my book across the room more than once. Of course I didn’t, because if I had, I would have had to immediately dash across the room, dust it off and apologize for my cruelty.

Luckily Gabaldon struck gold in Jamie, the aforementioned hard bodied hunk. Seriously, where can I get me one of those? This hot highlander has it all, humor, grace, confidence, intelligence and a childish exuberance that is very, very disarming. I was touched by Jamie’s capacity to love openly and honestly in spite of his past plights.

If you are reluctant to read Outlander because you detest romance novels, believe me, I feel your pain. If you don’t want to spend 12 hours of your life reading one book, suck it up, you can still make time to watch Vampire Diaries. This is far from a lighthearted read, quite the contrary, but hopefully by the books' end, you will be glad you embarked on the journey, just as I am.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outlander.

11/10/2009 page 1
0.11% "This is for you T :)" 1 comment
11/17/2009 page 295
33.91% "Just read the honeymoon scene, lol."
11/18/2009 page 415
47.7% "I just lurve Jamie, but I'm a bit miffed at Claire." 5 comments
11/19/2009 page 591
67.93% "Claire has become a typical romance novel heroine, aka saucey wench. Despite this, I will press on."
show 1 hidden update…