Sara ♥'s Reviews > To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Feb 20, 14

bookshelves: 2009, audiobook, challenge-fall-2009, historical, general-fiction, read-for-school, 2014
Read from February 19 to 20, 2014, read count: 3

February 19-20, 2014

Wow... it's been 4 years? Hmmm... doesn't seem that long ago! Well, it's still a really great book. It makes you think, that's for sure. And all the stuff I said down there, of course! :)

November 10-19, 2009

So, I read this book in high school (approx 10 years ago)... And I think the only things I remembered from then were: Scout Finch was the little girl, Atticus Finch was her dad (played by Gregory Peck), something about a trial/courtroom (I can see a still-shot in my mind of Gregory Peck in a courtroom), a guy named Boo Radley that was a recluse and that he'd done something bad. Yep. I know, right? Worst. Memory. Ever.

But WOW, it was a powerful novel! I loved so many things about it, I'm not even sure where to begin! I'll just list whatever comes to mind, so this is in no particular order.

* Scout Finch and her innocence. This reminds me of Mosiah 3:19. She is that kind of child, and I think we should strive to have those innocent, loving, meek, humble attributes!

* Atticus Finch and his moral fortitude I kept thinking that he was the Jack Bristow of To Kill a Mockingbird... He's just a kick-ass guy, but in a way that Jack is CERTAINLY not. He's a great example of someone who has great power (education, shooting skills, etc.) and uses it with great responsibility. He's a humble, charitable man, in a 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 kind of way.

* The stark contrast between Tom Robinson and Bob Ewell. You CANNOT judge people based on the color of their skin. There are good people and bad people of every race, gender, religion, whatever. That lesson is SO CLEAR between the two of them!

* Boo Radley. Not necessarily him so much as how Scout's feelings about him change as she goes from complete ignorance (at the beginning) to knowing him (at the end). I also love the lines at the end...
          Scout: "Atticus, he was real nice...."
          Atticus: "Most people are, Scout, when you finally see them."
I thought that pretty much summed the book up as a whole. Until you really "see" or know someone, how can you make a real assessment of their character?

And much more... It was a GREAT book. I get now why it is considered the #1 Best American Novel Ever... Oh, and Sissy Spacek did a great job reading this book! I really enjoyed the audio!

11/10 page 1
8.33% "I'm only 3 tracks into disc 1... And I'm already..... less than excited..."
11/12 page 1
8.33% "Disc 1, Track 5. Slow and steady wins the race?"
11/13 page 2
16.67% "Disc 2, Track 1. Interesting so far..."
11/14 page 3
25.0% "Disc 3, Track 1. It's getting pretty interesting, actually... I think I MAY enjoy this book..."
11/17 page 6
50.0% "Disc 6, Track 4 (I believe?). I'm starting to see why everyone loves this book... and why Atticus Finch is such a revered character!!"
11/18 page 9
75.0% "Disc 9, Track 1. AAHHHHHH!! I don't know how it's going to end (I never finished school books), but I'm SCARED!!"
11/18 page 10
83.33% "Disc 10, Track 1. Man. *shakes head sadly* Oh, man."
02/17 marked as: currently-reading
02/20 marked as: read
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I'm glad you ended up liking this one, Sara. It's one of my favorites.

Sara ♥ Yeah, like I said—I TOTALLY didn't remember it from high school... I got SO into it this time! It was a WONDERFUL story with wonderful (and some really awful) characters. I think people could learn a LOT from reading this book. I'm glad it's required reading in most schools! :)

JG (The Introverted Reader) This is in my top 5. Fantastic book! I finally summoned up the courage to watch the movie and was pleasantly surprised at how well it followed the book. Did you know that Boo Radley was Robert Duvall's first movie role? We were shocked when we saw him!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) So well said, Sara. You touched on many of the reasons this is a favorite of mine. Great comparison of Atticus with Jack. I love both characters, although Jack is more flawed in obvious ways than Atticus. Great review.

Sara ♥ Thanks! I'm in line for the movie at the library. We'll see if it comes in before I leave for Thanksgiving. I've heard it's quite good! I just googled "Robert Duvall Boo Radley"... WOW!