Scott's Reviews > NOW, Vol. 1

NOW, Vol. 1 by Sung-Woo Park

Nov 10, 09

bookshelves: graphic-novels, older-teens, second-half-of-2009, manwha, shonen
Read in November, 2009

AGGGGGGGGGGGGG! I have been trying to not be a hater of the Manga style, and truthfully I like a lot of manga. So I decided to try some Manwha, which is, to simplify it, Korean Manga that reads left to right. I thought this would help me with the storytelling stuff, by helping me know exactly which direction to read.
I was wrong.
This is hands down one of the worst things I have ever read. And has everything that I hate about Manga, especially Shonen (which is mixing words and cultures, but whatevs!)
The storytelling here is absolutely muddled and confoundingly stupid, that is, of course, when I could even make out what was going on, which was pretty much never. I never knew who was talking, who they were talking to, or what they were talking about, and then in the middle of one of these confused snippets of dialogue, they'd start fighting. Again, I didn't know who was fighting or even how, as the artwork was even more of a mess. I couldn't take it. If this book wasn't a library book I may have thrown it across the room.
I DON'T GET IT! How do people read and eat this stuff up. The art is crap. The storytelling is crap. I am going to continue to power through and not give up on Manga or Manwha, yet, but if this keeps up . . . well, I make no further promises.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read NOW, Vol. 1.

message 1: by Dawn (new)

Dawn I feel your pain... Some of the few Manga titles that I have enjoyed are Death Note and Nightmare Inspector. Emma is a beautifully drawn, well-written series, but I'm not sure if a guy would like it.

Scott I have Death Note on hold. I am excited to read it. Uzumaki is really good. Anything by Osamu Tezuka is also very good, but it's more coherent than any other manga I've read.