Harry's Reviews > Most Art Sucks: Five Years of Coagula

Most Art Sucks by Walter Robinson

M 50x66
Nov 10, 09

This book is a great portrait of the art world in the '90s. It's an interesting time capsule, including lots of talk about political art, how bad the Whitney Biennials were, and concern about the role money plays in art. It's a little like reading Napoleon's battle plans for Waterloo. Knowing that the battle is lost, it's hard to see how it could've turned out any other way.

Although a lot of this book is gossipy and namechecks people who aren't even of note any more (think of reading Page 6 from 1994 and you get the drift). My favorite pieces in this book are the portraits from the time. There's a sad remembrance of an L.A. artist lost to the crack epidemic that haunts me. And that's another thing about this book: it's divided between L.A. and N.Y., which in itself is a charming bit of nostalgia. In today's international art world, where artists jet around the world and one gallery show quickly makes rounds between national art capitals, having to choose between coasts seems provincial. If you're happily provincial like me, you might enjoy flipping through this book.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Most Art Sucks.