Sara's Reviews > The Moor's Last Sigh

The Moor's Last Sigh by Salman Rushdie

Nov 13, 09

Read in October, 2009

The Moor's Last Sigh isn't Midnight's Children, but it's not The Enchantress of Florence, either. It's good, solidly-rushing Rushdie, swimming in glorious language and wordplay and occasionally getting lost in an epic sea.

The beginning dragged a bit: at first, I thought I was reading an epic as fluffy as The Enchantress of Florence. Come on, Salman, get over these fantastical women already. I know you're in love, but they're not real!

But the book picks up once the Moor himself arrives. Reading much of the book lightly between time zones, I think I missed much of the commentary on Indian nation-building, but I know it was there, and, as always, that stuff gets me going.

If Midnight's Children is Rushdie's best epic novel (in my estimation, of what I've read) and The Enchantress of Florence is his worst, The Moor's Last Sigh ranks right below The Satanic Verses (number two) and above The Ground Beneath Her Feet. Considering that it's Rushdie (beautiful), it's well worth the read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Moor's Last Sigh.