Carrie's Reviews > Gone Away Into the Land

May 02, 2010

bookshelves: first-reads, books-i-own, arc-s-i-ve-won
Recommended for: teens & adults
Read in November, 2009 , read count: 1

Let me start off by saying in order for me to give a book a 5 star rating, it has to completely consume me and when I’m finished reading it, I’m still thinking about it days later. I love this book. I love stories that you find yourself stopping at periods and pausing at commas to get the full effect. There was so much depth, which so many books lack these days. The poetry of Jeffery Allen’s words allowed my mind to truly see the unique characters that became part of my life for awhile. I loved them and some, I even loved to hate. I usually rush though stories, just so I can start another, but with GONEAWAY INTO THE LAND, I took my time. A whopping week! And now as I write my review, I’m still attached to the characters I’ve come to love.

About the story...GONEAWAY INTO THE LAND is unlike anything I have ever read before. It’s a completely unique story. Think of the children’s board game CANDYLAND gone wrong. Think of the characters, to name a few, King Kandy, Lord Licorice and the Molasses Monster. Think of Tim Burton getting his hands on the game gone wrong and wrapping his mind around the chaos.

Jeffery Allen fills your mind with colors and the love of sugary things. I popped Skittles and M&M's the entire time I read it. Not only do colors consume you but the plot is gripping with page turning suspense. At times I thought of LORD OF THE RINGS because each group of characters had their own quest. Throughout the story you are introduced to these characters and taken away into their adventures. Piece by piece all this stories and characters come together for the big battle in the end.

I would recommend this story to YA and adults, though above average young children would love it too. Great for children that know how to let themselves fall into a fantasy world. This story has a sequel but it doesn’t leave you hanging. There is enough closure but still I long for more. I look forward for the follow-up and happy to add this book to the shelves in my own family library.

Merged review:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone Away Into the Land.