Susan's Reviews > Her Fearful Symmetry

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

You know it's bad when you're sitting in front of a blank screen, trying to figure out what to say about a book. This is how I feel about Her Fearful Symmetry, Audrey Niffenegger's long awaited follow-up to her fantastic debut The Time Traveler's Wife. It has taken me a full six days to slog through the meager 400 pages of this story. Never once in almost a week, did I experience that "can't wait to get that book open" moment that makes for a good read. I had to force myself through the entire thing.

Her Fearful Symmetry begins with such promise, but the story quickly goes downhill. I thought I'd be really interested in the twins, Julia and Valentina, but I just couldn't make myself care about them. Up to about page 275, I was just bored. Then the story took a dark turn (involving an innocent kitten) and I was disgusted. Valentina's plan to live as an individual away from her sister is not only incredibly selfish and horrifying, but also ridiculous. Whatever small redeeming quality the story had, it lost somewhere between the incident with the kitten and Valentina's plan.

I kept reading, hoping at least for a satisfactory ending. Not a "happy ending" - there was no way that was going to happen - but at least an ending that made the reading worth while. I did not get it. The ending was pointless and without any kind of tangible meaning. I was completely let down.

I am so surprised at the good reviews I have read about this book. The prose is really beautiful, but that is not enough to make for a good story. In finishing the book, my world is neither better or worse for the reading (unless you take into consideration almost a week lost within it's covers.) I will not recommend Her Fearful Symmetry to you. It definitely lacked the magic of The Time Traveler's Wife, and has nothing really redeeming - no interesting characters, no captivating setting, no fascinating plot line. I am really disappointed.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Fearful Symmetry.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy So tell me, how do you REALLY feel about this book? It must have been very disapointing to have you give it such a review. (I suspect it had something to do with that kitten.) I'll never know because I won't be reading it.

Susan Dorothy wrote: "So tell me, how do you REALLY feel about this book? It must have been very disapointing to have you give it such a review. (I suspect it had something to do with that kitten.) I'll never know be..."

Well, it wouldn't be your cup of tea anyway :) It was pretty disapointing, considering how much I enjoyed The Time Traveler's Wife. I almost never give a book a single star, but that is how much I was let down by it.