Samaya Young's Reviews > The Silence of the Lambs

The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris

Nov 14, 09

Read in November, 2009

The Silence of the Lambs

I found myself a little disappointed when reading this much spoken of story, of which I enjoyed the motion picture. This usually isn’t the case. In the past when, reading the true origin of a movie, The Book, it tended to add to the experience, and at times be even better.
Regretfully this wasn’t the case with this particular novel. I found the writing style lacking a flow that would have allowed me to be swept along with the story, and that is a terrible pity; so many pros already weighing in the favor of this rather famous story, and then fail to call forth the images with the words that were put down. A terrible pity.

I thought the switching back and forth between present time and past time not at all pleasant (a severe mood breaker for me) and there appeared to be some faulty editing throughout the story. Either that, or the author thought that the missing words weren’t necessary.

The main character, Starling, could have been a little more likable in my opinion, considering I didn’t feel much for her either way. Her boss appeared an interesting character, but he was transient throughout the story at best.

Hannibal, on the other hand was nicely done. He was a wonderful villain on the overall and he did make up for a lot of the somewhat iffy technicalities. Sure, there were a lot of fancy terms, but they didn’t wow me.

The idea was still wonderful, and in that, the author was absolutely right in writing this story.

All in all the Silence of the Lambs will be just the movie for me in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silence of the Lambs.