☯Bettie☯'s Reviews > King Henry IV, Part 1

King Henry IV, Part 1 by William Shakespeare

Mar 06, 14

bookshelves: adventure, classic, britain-england, fraudio, historical-fiction, re-read, winter-20122013, willsphernalia, re-visit-2013
Read from February 11, 1995 to February 11, 2013

** spoiler alert **

Henry IV - Part 1

2/4 When King Henry is threatened by rebellion, Prince Hal must join him to defeat the rebels.

From wiki:Hotspur: Sir Henry Percy KG (20 May 1364 – 21 July 1403) was the eldest son of Henry Percy, 1st Earl of Northumberland, and Margaret Neville, daughter of Ralph Neville, 2nd Baron Neville de Raby, and Alice de Audley. He was the most famous soldier of his day, and was slain at the Battle of Shrewsbury in 1403.

Jeremy Irons as King Henry IV
Tom Hiddleston as Prince Hal
Simon Russell Beale as Falstaff
Julie Walters as Mistress Quickly
Alun Armstrong as Northumberland
Joe Armstrong as Hotspur

Cry God For Harry - An adaptation from Henry IV, Parts 1 and 2 and Henry V

First broadcast 1977 (R7 repeat 2004, 2005)

Cast:
Binead, Hayden Jones, Anthony Hall, Michael Harbour,
Carol Russo, Christopher Picknead

Adapted and Directed by Dickon Reid

1. Riot And Dishonour
The rebellion gathers pace in part one of this adaptation of Shakespeare's Henry IV and Henry V. Starring Alan Howard and Peter Egan.

2. Glorious Deeds
With the rebellion in full force, the battle begins in this adaptation of Shakespeare's Henry IV and Henry V.

3. Falstaff Goodnight
Northumberland learns that his son Hotspur has been killed by Prince Hal and that the rebellion has failed. Episode 3 of

4. The Tide Of Blood
Henry IV has won the battle against the rebels but he doesn't feel happy about his victories.

5. The Action Of The Tiger
Adaptation of Shakespeare. As King Henry V takes to the throne he prepares for a battle with FRANCE.

6. St Crispin's Day
Henry V rallies his men as the battle between ENGLAND and FRANCE begins. Adaptation of Shakespeare.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read King Henry IV, Part 1.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Paul Servini Bettie, did you record this? I remember playing Falstaff in this play way back when I was in school and I would love to hear it again. Where did you get it?

☯Bettie☯ It was a converted tape to mp3 file; alas no more - 'tis dead as a dodo.
:O)

message 3: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" I had to read this in college. Hotspur is one of my favorite character names from Shakespeare. :-D

☯Bettie☯ Whilst I much prefer the tragedies this BBC airing under the heading The Hollow Crown is fantabulous. Flister Susanna tipped me the wink of its existence.

Did you get to act in college?

message 5: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" No acting in college. I was one of those kids who had to have a job while at university, so I didn't have time for many extra-curriculars. I did have fun acting in high school, though. I even got to be Lady Macbeth at a summer theater workshop.

message 6: by ☯Bettie☯ (last edited Feb 12, 2013 02:20AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

☯Bettie☯ Jeanette wrote: "No acting in college. I was one of those kids who had to have a job while at university, so I didn't have time for many extra-curriculars. I did have fun acting in high school, though. I even got t..."

Neat!

I played Calpurnia in Julius Ceasar, and Eliza Doolittle in Pygmalion; can still be heard to utter 'I'm a good girl, I am' on occasion

heh! That sentiment a lie of course!!

message 7: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Eliza, now that must have been fun! I don't think I could ever have mastered the proper accents, though. When I think of lines from that show, it's always the musical movie I'm quoting. It wasn't until a year or two ago that I finally read Pygmalion.