Joe's Reviews > Under the Dome

Apr 11, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: stephen-king
Read in April, 2010

Though I felt this book is better than the normal three star novel, I am unwilling to rate it as high as four. 3 1/2 would be the best way to rank it. The majority of the book is very exciting and has many interesting elements, but nothing to make it a masterpiece. Yet, there are things about the conclusion that are disappointing. The best way to explain it is by a few things said by some critics and other short reviews.

One person said that the conflicts within the town are a neat part of the book but ended halfway through, and the book then became something they were disappointed in. I see where they get the idea, however the conflicts don't end until the last hundred pages or so (which may seem like a bit, but, in this book, that is hardly anything).

Other people have said that it is a complex story with a much simpler moral or statement than some of King's other long novels, which they felt was a nice element. Though I see what they are saying, I would not say that the statement is simple, I would say it was far too vague. Also, to me, the conclusion that this statement is centered around felt very out of place when compared to the majority of the book.

To sum it up, I felt that king had a great concept for the setting of a unique and complex story, but ran out of choices at the end, and made things too vague, brief, and out of place for it to be one of his best.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Dome.

Quotes Joe Liked

Stephen King
“If you don't control your temper, your temper will control you.”
Stephen King, Under the Dome