Eileen Souza's Reviews > What the Dog Saw and Other Adventures

What the Dog Saw and Other Adventures by Malcolm Gladwell

Nov 09, 09

bookshelves: north-america, brain-science
Read in November, 2009

Another solidly enjoyable book from Malcolm Gladwell! He's definitely in my top 5 "I can count on a good book by..." list.

This is a compilation of New Yorker articles that he has written over the last 15 years. There were riveting chapters on why the Pill is a monthly medication (and it's impact on women - basically quadrupling the number of lifetime periods, and directly correlating to cancers), another on why there are many different mustard types, but there's only Heinz ketchup (actually quite fascinating!), the impact of marketing on hair dye and women's roles in the workplace, criminal profiling, etc. Each article is completely different, and thoroughly enjoyable.

The reason that this book received 4 stars rather than 5 was mainly due to the fact that it was compilations, and there was no overarching theme. Blink changed my life, and my career. The Tipping Point made me evaluate what kind of person I am (a maven) and instinctively categorize others in ways that help me interact with them. They got 5 stars. This was thoroughly enjoyable, but not a game changer. It's a good 4 star book.

Definitely a book I will read with enjoyment again!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What the Dog Saw and Other Adventures.