Lisa's Reviews > My Bread: The Revolutionary No-Work, No-Knead Method

My Bread by Jim Lahey

Jan 31, 10

bookshelves: food
Recommended for: anyone who wants to make an AMAZING bread without much hands-on time, foodies
Read from January 28 to 31, 2010

I have only baked the first master recipe and the book is worth 5 stars just from that. This book has earned a spot on my cookbook shelf just as soon as I place my next Amazon order. The bread I baked last night was one of the best loaves I've ever produced in my home kitchen. It is also better that those that I've eaten at any bakery or restaurant. The crust was crisp, crackly, and SO unbelievably flavorful! The crumb was delightful too - moist and springy, with irregular holes just as it should be and it didn't taste overly yeasty as many breads can. I left the dough to rise 24 hours during its first rise due to being stuck in a car on icy DC roads when I should have been tending to the bread but I think I will do it this way from now on in the winter because it was that good! I was amazed at how well the bread baked in the pot (never baked bread in a pot like this - I used a square covered Le Crueset and was skeptical but it was amazing!). There was SO LITTLE hands-on time that it was ridiculous. Ridiculously easy.

Why did I wait so long to try this??! WHY? I could have been tinkering all these years with more whole wheat based on this method perfecting a good no-knead wheat bread. Ugh, I could just kick myself. Instead, I think I will just mix up another batch of dough tomorrow!

I mean, I heard the crust SING (which I learned is the sound when the bread cools on the rack and goes through it's last cooking stages and the crust actually crackles - it was so cool to hear,though I probably looked silly to anyone that could have seen me with my ear hovering one inch from my freshly-baked loaf of bread for 5 minutes)!! Lahey made me feel like a bread goddess. Thank you thank you thank you, Mr. Lahey!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Bread.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christy (new) - added it

Christy McKenna Lisa,
What did you use to bake the bread in? I need a new baker and I can't decide between the le Creuset cast iron or a stoneware version....any suggestions?

Lisa I already had a Le Creuset - the kind that can only go *in* the stove (not ON it) because I bought the wrong one and used it before realizing it... so didn't feel right about returning it. I'm not at home now so I can't remember what his other suggestions were. I would try to borrow one before buying if possible since they are expensive. :)