Jessica's Reviews > My Friend Flicka

My Friend Flicka by Mary O'Hara

Dec 08, 09

Read in December, 2009

Ken McLaughlin is a ten-year-old boy who lives on a remote Wyoming ranch, the Goose Bar. He has a father named Rob, a mother named Nell, and an older brother named Howard. Ken is many times a daydreamer. He is such a daydreamer that he has failing grades at school and must then retake 5th grade which puts the family in a tough financial situation. They own a ranch with wild horses but Rob plans on selling them since they cannot be tamed. Ken then chooses a colt of his own, for his mother believes that responsibility for a horse will train their young son. Ken and his colt, Flicka grow in their trust and friendship. Calamity strikes their family when Flicka is scared off and is caught in some barbed wire. The wire causes and infection and Ken's dad says they should put her down. Does he shoot Flicka?

Again, this if for the boys and girls who have trouble in school or making friends. You can just imagine the touch of the horse's mane, hear the whinny of a filly running through the fields. Mary Ohara takes us to the state of Wyoming where there are many ranchers. There is also conflict between the Father and the son. How will they get along? Do they ever see eye to eye? Do my students feel that they do not see eye to eye with their parents at times? This book could help those who feel this way. This book provides many experiences to every reader. Each reader is torn between whose side to be on. The father, the mother, the son Ken, or the horse Flicka.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Friend Flicka.